Search forum:

Forums : General : Kinda Weekly or Semi-Weekly "What's Hot/In Demand"!

61 posts, 12 voices

Tesseract
4766 posts

So I think I might have finally found a decent use for the inane amount of information in my brain about the “collecting” side of comics and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if anyone is at all interested and/or if it’s okay with Gus/Other Big Guns.

I was thinking about maybe posting a weekly thing that goes over the hottest new releases and latest hot books (regardless of age but mostly sticking with modern stuff) that are trending upward in demand/price. It wouldn’t be overly long and nothing is set in stone as far as structure, but I figured there might be some people curious about what books are being sought after. Also, I think it also has the potential to help out HI a little bit by maybe selling some more copies of certain in-demand issues/titles that some people might not have known about previously. As for non-modern stuff, if anyone is just randomly curious about what a particular comic is worth, I could answer those types of questions as well.

Anyway, is anyone at all maybe interested in something like this? Hell, maybe we could make it into a little portion of the weekly newsletter! ;-)

Tesseract
4766 posts

Here’s a sample recommendation -

Chew #22 – While this title has and will continue to be hot all by itself (especially since there is an upcoming TV series in the works – think Walking Dead type price inflation), this particular issue is one to keep an eye on since it marks the first appearance of the even-hotter series Fatale. Brubaker’s creation has generated an already amazing amount of demand and buzz, and thanks to the preview in the back of this installment of Chew, demand has already reached the point where it is selling at a minimum of almost 4x cover price. It is currently much easier to find than a 1st print of Fatale #1 and demand is only slightly less. I highly recommend grabbing a copy of this comic not only for collecting purposes, but also because it may act as an introduction into the wonderful world of Chew, a title you should be reading anyway! To make things even better, HeavyInk is currently still stocked with this issue. Grab it now!

http://heavyink.com/comic/20032-Chew-22

Current Open Market Price: ~$10-12 (Cover price: $2.99)

Current Recommendation Level (Scale 1-10): 9

Future/Permanent Demand Potential (Scale 1-10): 7*
(*Higher if it weren’t so dependent on the success of Fatale.)

hayfro
598 posts

I think this is a great idea Tess. Kudos.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Cool.

Definitely awesome for the forum. I’ll email you back about newsletter potential/implications.

FYI – We have 8 copies of Chew 22 left in stock, and can’t get any more.

Tesseract
4766 posts

Sweet, I’m glad you guys like it. Hopefully some more folks will weigh in. As far as the forum-specific angle, if people like it, I’ll gladly post stuff regardless, especially if people are curious about something specific.

Also, because I’m sure it will come up eventually, I want to quickly point out that “Open Market” price is a combination of the marketplace (eBay obviously being a big one), whether the comic is trending up or down, and information I gather from the collector community/various forums.

Nattygreene
146 posts

Oh Noes! Out of Stock!

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Yep.

We’re going to need some sort of term for when Tess causes something to go out of stock in this manner.

Perhaps a Tess-down?

Please post any better ideas below ;)

Nattygreene
146 posts

Life with Archie #16
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/06/life-wit…

Sold out
http://heavyink.com/comic/21431-Life-With-Archi…

Selling for $50 on Ebay. Will likely go higher for awhile and will fizzle out to wind up in the penny bin.

KamuiX
408 posts

Yeah, this thing will plummet before long. I tend to watch ComicsPriceGuide.com to gauge if a comic is truly increasing in value or is just a flash-in-the-pan type of thing. This is still listed at $4. Of course, maybe they just haven’t updated yet. Or, maybe it’s the psycho OMM group buying up all the copies so our youth won’t be subjected to such filth :p

I remember the issue of Alpha Flight where Northstar came out as gay was hot for a while and now it’s not worth a dime.

meatman1476
1 posts

Awesome idea, I’m sick of doing searches for “Hot Comics” and everything I find is from last year. Please do this.

Nattygreene
146 posts

Truth be told; most modern price hiking comics are a flash in the pan.

This can be attributed to significantly larger print runs, the emergence of direct marketing/nixing of returnable product killing newsstand placement, the creation of a secondary market of collectors supplies which ensure mint future stock, the lack of stock killing activities like a war recycle effort or no current “comics are the devil” crusade, the internet creating a global market/killing regional supply issues, and other influencing factors.

meatman-Please do not take the collecting as an investment mentality from the 1990’s too seriously.

Research from the big publishers show that comics, as an industry, is in the dark ages; not seeing young readership growth for years. The research also notes that the primary purchasers of comics now are adult collectors. Think on that for a minute; what will happen when they all attempt to unload their stock or their families attempt to sell it after their deaths?

DC, Marvel and several of the smaller houses have seen the writing on the wall after the 1990 comic bubble popped. They have pushed other outlets and “diversified their portfolio.” Motion Pictures, toys, Broadway musicals, clothes tv series, direct to market dvds, games, digital publishing, and actually doing market research. Print comics are in danger; not exactly a sound investment.

All that said, it feels like a renascence of storytelling is sweeping the industry. Waning publishers are making a push. There are oddles of must have books out there today. It is a great time to be reading. Comics are trying to make a push to remain culturally relevant; risks are being taken. It is a great time to be an avid reader.

Tesseract
4766 posts

It is very true that there are many “flash in the pan” comic price spikes, but that’s not what this is about. It’s also not about giving you some impossible-to-find-at-cover comic so you can sit there and salivate – I could have just put Chew #1 first print up here, said it’s worth $300 ($700 high-end CGC) and called it a day. Pleases trust me when I say these “recommendations” are not of that variety, or at least I am making every effort to make sure. Another example – we could simply list every major first print Image #1 comic in general!

I’m fairly deeply involved in the LCS and collecting communities, and my intentions are to simply inform people who are excited about similar things as me (in this case modern comic collecting) about the things that I learn and come across. Again, there is a very, very big difference between talking about something like Fatale #1, ASM #678 Venom Variant, certain DC sketches, etc., and comparing them to whatever the “comic of the week” is.

Tesseract
4766 posts

Nattygreene – You are describing the bubble of the 90s – it is not what is currently going on. Additionally, I have never, ever, ever heard/seen/read about a family attempting to sell “old collections” i.e. Gold/Silver Age comics and had trouble or several price dilution. That is simply an anti-collecting myth and a silly one. There are more stories of families saving homes and/or finding college tuition in the attic.

KamuiX
408 posts

I actually think the smaller print runs theses days are the reason why some of these books COULD sustain worth. Back in the 90s, everyone thought EVERYTHING would be worth something. I remember comic shops selling the gatefold cover of X-Men #1 for $15-20. Now it’s hardly worth the paper it’s printed on. The only stuff from that time that’s worth anything are comics that flew under the radar to an extent and created a character that become surprisingly popular, like Cable in New Mutants #87 and Deadpool in New Mutants #98. Considering the popularity of Gambit back in the 90s, I’d have sworn up and down my copy of Uncanny #266 would be worth gold these days, but now those two NM issues, which I own and didn’t put in near-indestructible mylar casing, are worth more (luckily they are in nice condition though). It’s really impossible to gauge. Considering all of the new stuff Brubaker is always putting out, there’s no way I could have guessed Fatale shooting up in the way it has. And with only about 20k in the first print run, it may very well sustain its value.

I did notice CPG has officially put the price of Peter Panzerfaust #1 at $6. Not sure if that one will hold strong or increase like Fatale has (which is officially up to $20 on CPG, with the 2nd printing at $8 and issue #2 at $6).

Tesseract
4766 posts

@KamuiX – That’s exactly one of the points I was trying to make.

As for some of the prices you’ve mentioned, CPG has been upping their game with respect to the new release market. I still use comicbookrealm.com over CPG in most cases for the really new stuff, but it’s good to know that they no longer take 3-6 months to acknowledge a price change.

KamuiX
408 posts

Hey Tess, thanks for mentioning ComicBookRealm.com. Didn’t even realize it existed, and it looks nice. When I started getting interested in comics again years ago I just went to Google and the first thing that popped up when looking for a price guide was CPG, and I’ve just stuck with them ever since. Will be nice to have another resource outside of eBay when I’m looking up info.

hayfro
598 posts

I’m curious if anybody has thoughts on Supurbia. It sold out here at HI a week before. Has anyone read it? Think it’ll be worth anything?

Anzuelo
977 posts

I also think it would be cool if in this thread we brought up the hot series/runs. For example a while back I gave a friend of mine my Snyder run on Detective comics because it was so awesome and I wanted to get him into comics. I did this thinking it would be easy for me to replace/find all the issues again. It took me nearly 4 months and visiting over 30 comic stores to get the full run again. Granted this is partially because I refuse to turn to Ebay because for me the hunt is part of the fun. Just wish I would have known earlier it was such a hot run. I was just checking on ebay and its cool to see that the UXF 1-18 and TEC 871-881 are selling really well and at really high prices. Specially TEC 871,872,873 Black Mirror. On UXF it appears to me that issue 4 has the highest demand (you know the one where Fantomex shoots #$# !#*$(#)). Tess, would you also let us know about hot runs? That way I don’t do something silly again like give away my black mirror run. :-) BTW, I consider both these runs as a must have if anyone doesn’t have them you should get them, there is a reason they are hot.

Tesseract
4766 posts

I have some stuff planned that I want to do with this thread, but it looks like we might be incorporating something into the newsletter as well. So once I figure out exactly what’s going on with that, I’ll be doing constant updates in here (or a new thread) as well.

Nattygreene
146 posts

My comments were pointed at the comment they followed. I stand by my assertion that modern won’t hold their value long term on a comparable level versus golden or silver age. I was referencing in 20-30 years the books of today won’t be the next mile-high collection. Tess, I think what you are doing here is great. Don’t take my warning to meat as me not being excited to see your comments here. I’m looking forward to it!

Tesseract
4766 posts

“I stand by my assertion that modern won’t hold their value long term on a comparable level versus golden or silver age. I was referencing in 20-30 years the books of today won’t be the next mile-high collection.”

This is a very good point. I didn’t seem to catch that you were speaking about comics of that type, which are on an entirely different level than what we’re discussing. There would need to be some sort of incredible resurgence of the comic book medium in order for anything past the late Silver Age, maybe early Bronze Age, to attain that type of status. Part of the problem also rests in the notion that it isn’t really possible to recreate that cultural iconic symbolism of the initial birth of the Golden Age. But that’s a topic for a different time.

hayfro
598 posts

Peter Panzerfaust has been elevated to an ongoing. Could make the #1 more valuable in the long run if it continues to sellout.

hayfro
598 posts

Secret History Of Db Cooper #1 looks pretty interesting and could be a sleeper this week. I overlooked it until today but it’s been getting rave reviews and I’m sure it has a low print run. Just added it to my pull list.

hayfro
598 posts

Some are comparing it to Mignola’s work.

Tesseract
4766 posts

Gus – Just want to make sure you got my email in time; I sent it a few minutes ago.

Hopefully my first attempt at this didn’t suck too badly – I tried to keep things pretty conservative. If this works out, it would be awesome to answer questions and discuss different aspects of successful collecting in general.