Search forum:

Forums : General : FYI: Some shipments generated this week in error, expected to be cancelled/refunded...

22 posts, 5 voices

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Hi Everyone,

This is a general headsup, since I’ve already gotten a few emails about this problem and want to let you know what’s going on.

On Sunday night there is a task that is supposed to update the shipping calendars. It goes through and notes on your account if you got a shipment during the past week. (This is a newer modification put in a few months ago that greatly speeds up the time it takes to generate shipments after comics arrive).

Unfortunately, the task broke this past Sunday night, and I only discovered this tonight after this week’s shipments were generated and credit cards were charged.

So, right now I’m in the process of going through all the shipments and making a list of any shipments that are disobeying shipping preferences. I’ll be sending this list to Suz to have those shipments cancelled/refunded, so the comics return to ‘pending’ mode and ship later at the correct time.

Credit card refunds can take a day or two to process.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Gus

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update: Suz has the list I made and is setting those shipments aside for cancel/refund.

Turns out our internal server crashed earlier this week and Travis is in the process of reconfiguring it (better than before!), so Suz hasn’t been able to do the cancel/refunds yet.

More news as events warrant.

hayfro
598 posts

hey gus,

I’m getting an order soon and I had adventure time 1 green lit to go and now it’s disappeared.

Awesome!
3708 posts

I have a shipment this week which is correct but my calendar is showing a shipment for next week too, which is incorrect.

KamuiX
408 posts

@Awesome When I first switched to bi-weekly, I asked Gus about that same thing and he said the system doesn’t see who’s been shipped what the previous week until a script runs on Sunday, so check it out after then. Mine is showing the same as yours currently, but I’ve noticed it does after every shipment, and when I check on Monday’s its sorted itself out.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

@hayfro – Adventure Time #1 – seems to have been superpopular, and we didn’t get enough to cover all the orders (I’ll check with Suz on whether we expect any more first printings to actually arrive).

Meanwhile, I’ll add in the 3rd printing to try and fill remaining orders and let others pick it up.

@Awesome – KamuiX is correct.

hayfro
598 posts

this happened to me with Prophet, Fatale, and now Adventure time? I understand it happens once in awhile, but how can I have something in my queue, and think that I’m going to get it, and then I find out it’s unavailable?

I added in far before it said sold out, so a copy by rights should be held.. no?

I just don’t understand how this keeps happening and how its fair to the customer.

hayfro
598 posts

Regardless of how popular a title is when the “buy now” button is blue, we should have the confidence to know we are actually reserving a copy.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

this happened to me with Prophet, Fatale, and now Adventure time? I understand it happens once in awhile, but how can I have something in my queue, and think that I’m going to get it, and then I find out it’s unavailable?

Well, Adventure Time #1 just came out last week, right. So, up till then the system probably thought we’d get in all the copies we need to fill orders. If we think we’re going to get stuff and then it doesn’t show up, unfortunately

I added in far before it said sold out, so a copy by rights should be held.. no?

If we get the comic in, yes, absolutely. If there are distribution problems, we may not get one to hold.

You ordered it on January 31st, which is in between the “Final Order Cutoff” and when the product goes on sale. The system won’t call something ‘out of stock’ until all the orders we placed before Final Order Cutoff are accounted for. However, if we then don’t get all the orders placed before Final Order Cutoff, perhaps because the product was more popular than expected and the publisher didn’t have enough copies printing, or if there were printing problems and the distributor didn’t get enough copies and had to allocate some around, it’s possible we might not be able to fill all the orders that were spoken for (at least not with first printings.)

Of course, people who order it during the same month as the solicit comes out before the Initial Order Cutoff (in this case, in the month of December), are going to have the best chances in these sorts of situations, since their order was included in our Initial Order numbers.

I just don’t understand how this keeps happening and how its fair to the customer.

It’s not fair to the retailer, or possibly even distributor, either. Such are the problems in the realm of advance solicitation publishing. But, I think I mentioned before it’s fairly rare. Unfortunately you’re hitting a string of bad luck with first issues of new series getting popular and us not getting all the copies we wanted.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Regardless of how popular a title is when the “buy now” button is blue, we should have the confidence to know we are actually reserving a copy.

Well, I will be able to add the 3rd printing in. So there will be a copy for you.

Officially we don’t guarantee any specific printing, precisely because of these sorts of problems.

Awesome!
3708 posts

he said the system doesn’t see who’s been shipped what the previous week until a script runs on Sunday

Ugh, he totally said that earlier too. Don’t mind me being dumb.

KamuiX
408 posts

Hey Jeff, at the first of every month when HI posts the next round of solicitations, I’d recommend adding all of the books you might be interested in to your subscriptions. That way you’re up high in the pecking order, and you can always back out without penalty if you change your mind down the line before the book comes out. I’d say this will likely guarantee you these titles if you choose to stay with them. I’ve been doing it since I joined, and have yet to miss out on any book I wanted when it’s in first print, Fatale and Prophet included.

hayfro
598 posts

I’ll give that a shot – thanks for the tip. It will take some more managing because since the shipping changes I try to wait longer and build up a nice sized order as $10/shipping is quite expensive but I can justify it if I spread it out over 6 -7 weeks. I don’t need my comics right away.

One of the features I like at HI is being able to add/drop right up until it ships so I’ve unsubbed from most and just pick and choose but it’s becoming a problem with missed books.

The other solution is to buy the most popular new titles at my lcbs and just get most of my other comics here. Luckily that was the case with Fatale and Prophet. Not the case with Adventure Time. I thought I had a copy reserved, but distribution issues have caused that to not be the case.

Brandon
17 posts

Hello, I never received my confirmation that my books shipped this week… this is a week I’m supposed to ship and I have been charged just never got shipping email stating my books were sent out…Could you please help with this??

Also will post in other thread..

Thank You for all your help in this.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

@Brandon – answered you in the other thread.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update – the internal server, which deals with shipping label printing and credit cards, amongst other things, had problems this week. So, from what I can see in the admin screens, Suz hasn’t had a chance to cancel the affected shipments. That should be happening promptly at the start of next week (if not sooner), a new server was fully set up after several days of hard work on it.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

2nd update – there are also some valid shipments still left in the system. It’s possible they were shipped but couldn’t be scanned out at the time, or it’s possible they were held up for some other reason. Sometimes things continue happening on Saturdays.

More news as I get more news.

Brandon
17 posts

thanks for all your help I will keep an eye out

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update: The MRSD job failed tonight, so don’t expect calendars to necessarily look correct right now. (If you’ve had a shipment in the last two weeks, at this point, the calendar doesn’t know it.)

I was expecting we might need to rerun it on Monday night anyway to deal with the shipments that haven’t cleared the system yet.

So, presumably after Monday night things will look normal again.

As always, I’ll keep you posted.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update: The affected shipments have been cancelled/refunded (remember, it generally seems to take longer for a refund to show up on your credit card than a charge does.)

MRSD was run this afternoon, so calendars should now look correct for shipping dates.

I have a few emails and forum posts to respond to on these matters, I’ll be doing that later this evening.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update: I’ve found that the MRSD that was run this afternoon only caught shipments this past week, not the week before.

So some calendars will currently not be accurate.

I’ve alerted Travis and Suz so this can be dealt with before this week’s shipments generate.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Update: Travis did a special run of the MSRD today that caught earlier shipments.

All the calendar stuff, and this week’s shipments, should be good!