Search forum:

Forums : General : HeavyInk preferred customer program - what perks do you want?

99 posts, 29 voices

TJIC
Administator
720 posts

I’m toying with a new program to reward the customers who have really helped build HeavyInk – the folks who post in the forums, write reviews, review graphic novels, and all the other stuff that makes our site great.

I’m going to roll out a feature in the near future that tracks karma and lets you see new ways to contribute.

…but part of this plan should include REWARDING folks who help build the community here.

I’m in a bit of a brain fog – any thoughts on how we can reward folks?

Ideas I’ve had:

• Early access to variant covers
  • moderator power in the forum
  • …and that’s where I run dry.

Any other thoughts?

Zach
993 posts

Remember those weekly Sales that Andy would let some of us right? Those were a blast. I miss those.

Awesome!
3708 posts

Are we allowed to cut into margins? A customer loyalty program would be nice, maybe build up to an extra 5% off pre-orders or something. This doesn’t need to be tied into preferred customer status but it could be.

Along with early access to variant covers (which is only actually a perk for a small number of people) you could give early access to sale items or even preferred customer only sales.

Maybe throw a freebie back issue or two in their orders sometimes. Finally a use for all those Angel variants!

Giving moderator powers is probably not the best idea. I think just having Dan pick a few people who (probably) won’t screw shit up is a better bet. Most people likely wouldn’t view this is as much of a perk anyway.

No1Psycho
467 posts

Not really a big fan of the early access to variant cover idea myself… I only purchase a few comics a week and like to get my hands on a few of the Incentives to go along with the titles I subscribe to but I don’t post to the forums very often. I’m here, check things out on a regular basis, but stay pretty quiet. I’ll support anything HI decides because I love the opportunities that I’ve had as far as getting Incentives and customer service here is 2nd to none. I’m not going anywhere no matter what you decide. Just my 2 cents for whatever it’s worth.

Tesseract
4766 posts

Not really a big fan of the early access to variant cover idea myself… I only purchase a few comics a week and like to get my hands on a few of the Incentives to go along with the titles I subscribe to but I don’t post to the forums very often. I’m here, check things out on a regular basis, but stay pretty quiet. I’ll support anything HI decides because I love the opportunities that I’ve had as far as getting Incentives and customer service here is 2nd to none. I’m not going anywhere no matter what you decide. Just my 2 cents for whatever it’s worth.

I know you haven’t been on all the time over the last several months, but I wouldn’t be worried if I were you. I know your incentive buying habits and it really won’t prevent you from getting most of what you’d want. In fact, after being smack dab in the middle of “Tuesday/Wednesday” Chat since the beginning, if they actually do early incentive access, it’s only going to effect less than a handful of people based on the type of incentive they try for versus what the vast majority end up grabbing.

Tesseract
4766 posts

@Awesome – I agree. I think there are a few people who would view being a junior moderator as an actual perk, but it isn’t something common in a rewards program.

I think it all comes down to what Travis and Dan are shooting for with the program. If it’s meant to be for a very small number of people, things like mod power are a good idea. If it’s supposed to be for a bigger percentage of the customer base, things like maybe a small loyalty discount, 5% for example like Awesome mentioned, and rewards member only graphic novel and/or back issue sales would be the way to go. Also, a points program is always a solid idea; you guys could create a simple system that allows points to be cashed in for account credit.

It really comes down to what the goal of the program is. Heck, you could do both things mentioned above: create a very small group of “gold” members who get things like early access to incentives, mod power, etc., but at the same time install a loyalty program with special sales and a points system.

Sarah
29 posts

I like the idea of a small loyalty discount.

How about a free in-stock comic every time you’ve bought a certain number of comics, like 20 or 25?

Or free shipping every once in a while on large purchases. Just sending out ideas!

Zach
993 posts

The most I’ve heard discounted at a LCS is 20%. I’d be surprised if HI had room for more than that. So, free (or mostly free) stuff…hmm…

e:

I agree with Awesome re: Moderator power. Giving it to everyone who’s active at various points seems asking for trouble.

Joe
Administator
3025 posts

I agree with Awesome re: Moderator power. Giving it to everyone who’s active at various points seems asking for trouble.

[doing my best Jafar impersonation]
POWER! UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER!
ahem
Anyway, I love the idea of a customer rewards program, but as has been said, I don’t think letting all people that got up to a certain point would be a smart idea, and giving dibs on variants would be cool for some people, but the only thing I care about is getting cheaper graphic novels. Maybe a Buy 10 GN, Get One $20 or less item for free (or %50 off or whatever) deal. The only thing that would interest me would be deals that cut into your profit margin and I’m not sure how willing or likely you are to try that.

Groo2u2
253 posts

I think a “customer of the year” award would be good. Just pick one customer a year (just HI people vote) and give them a bunch of gifts/rewards/etc. It’s not exactly a rewards program so maybe this isn’t something you are looking for, but I still think it would be a good idea.

abbysdad
283 posts

How about the HI equivalent of a coffee club card?

Sign up for the preferred member program and every X orders you pay for you earn a checkmark towards a Y% discount.

Letting people vote once a quarter for what should go on sale would be good too.

If HI gets any gossip or neat swag from industry connections, that would be an ace reward too.

Gup
4 posts

I agree on he customer loyalty program. I think a scale of the more you buy the more perks you get. You could also tie it into posting on the forms. Maybe some form of a point system? Where you get points for buying and posting(obviously more for buying) and then turn it in for rewards like free shipping or a free comic.

Not a big fan of the customer of the year or moderator bonuses. Just don’t think it would work well. A 5% or similar discount is an ok idea, but I question if it would really motivate someone to buy or post more.

emeraldknyght
1085 posts

Maybe everyone with 10 or more subs a month is entered in a monthly draw of a monthly $50 shopping spree. That may effectively increase sales and garner more active participation in the readership as they check in to see who won or what titles they could have suggested to them to meet the thrershold.

Joe
Administator
3025 posts

Yeah, I think abbysdad and EK have good ideas. Either a monthly draw or a rewards card type situation would be good incentives without much possibility of them being abused.

Gus [Emeritus]
Administator
4326 posts

Voting on items to go on sale could be fun, and if you’re tracking ‘karma’, you could use up some of your karma to more heavily influence the vote.

Tesseract
4766 posts

Yeah, I think abbysdad and EK have good ideas. Either a monthly draw or a rewards card type situation would be good incentives without much possibility of them being abused.

Hey! What about my rewards program idea? It came first! Awww, nobody reads my posts. :(

Ryan
646 posts

I would like an early look at variant covers. I’m either working or in class or just busy when they get put up so when I log in and check its usually only the indy comics that still have variants available.

I can’t think of much that doesn’t involve savings (most of which was mentioned earlier)

You could also think of the rewards program as a trial for setting something up like barnes and nobels or borders with their subscription to savings cards (just food for thought).

Ryan
646 posts

I must say though I agree with what’s been said about mod powers.

if you are really considering this you might want to limit it to people who are significantly active.
to consider this I’d reccomend looking at a posting timeline if possible
worst case you could just go with the amount of posts made

You would also have to start a heirarchy chain to make sure that there’s a level of control if anything dire should happen.

You should definitely put something under their names to indicate they are of a certain title as well.

Bast
3353 posts

Also, a points program is always a solid idea; you guys could create a simple system that allows points to be cashed in for account credit.

My vote is for this. Sort of like frequent flier points. This sounds like the most fair. The more you buy, the more points you get. Redeem them on GN’s or comics. You have to have enough points to cover the cost of the item.

I don’t like the incentive idea, or monthly draw (I never get picked), or extra 5% discount. These all fall into the “chance category” or “because I can’t afford to spend more I get nothing?” category. With the points program, everyone gets something everytime you buy something.

fuzztub
488 posts

i agree with bast. i think a rewards/points card type idea would be nice. the more you spend the more points you get which can be redeemed for money off a shipment or a percentage or something. free swag in a shipment is also nice. i always appreciated that in the past.

or how about a so many years with the site percentage?

early incentives would be cool, but it couldn’t be done how it is now. i don’t think the current system would be a real reward. esp if you dropped them all at the same time, it’d be like dropping raw meat in a full shark tank :)

mod power would not be a good idea. it only takes one bad apple or someone with a really bad day to ruin that.

but now though you mention for helping contribute/build the community. i don’t know if you want a spending based reward or not. but if that’s what you are looking for and can track it, the points card is a good idea. maybe at a certain karma level it applies an extra percentage off your order or something?

one last thing to consider, if you include forum posts into this, you may just get people who post to post. that will build their karma for nothing. reviews, recommendations etc. i would think should count more. maybe have these reviewed though to be sure noone just submits “book sucks”. to get points for it.

on a side note, i would like to see sub forums. the general forum is nice, but how about forums for marvel books, dc books, indy, etc. i think that would help create a more diverse discussion on the boards. we could discuss the new x book or the new dcnu books, in a more specific manner. i would probly post more, but i have always been more a reader and not a poster on forums.

Dan [Emeritus]
Administator
5539 posts

on a side note, i would like to see sub forums. the general forum is nice, but how about forums for marvel books, dc books, indy, etc. i think that would help create a more diverse discussion on the boards.

Eh. Nobody stays on topic anyway. Why not talk about that stuff here?

mankind76
72 posts

Maybe allow preferred members access to a page with the leftover Free Comic Book Day comics?

Awesome!
3708 posts

In the future I think they should just randomly send out extra FCBD issues in peoples’ orders over the following weeks. HI can’t sell them and getting them out to the widest audience should be the goal. This is assuming HI participates in FCBD in the future of course.

H I A I 2.0
1077 posts

I agree with all the good suggestion already said but the utter lack of originality is disappointing.

I would like 1 day when the websites header said Yami Ink. Your comics are all mine biotch!

I would like to be invited to the company’s end of summer picnic and constantly tell everyone it is " Wicked Hawt"

I want Dan, Travis and Me to all dress up in powdered wigs with fancy ruffly shirts and tight pants ( like in the movie Amadeous ) and have our pictures taken as we eat burritos.

I want to take all the Angel Variants and make a life size paper mache statue of David Boreanaz with them.

I want I want I want……. I want everyone to get along …

Tesseract
4766 posts

I want to buy a boat and have Yami sail me around the world.